Pages

Friday, 24 December 2010

Blog: December holidays


December, and with it the year 2010, is coming to an end. I don't care much for Christmas or New Years. But as a kid, this was my favourite time of the year, all the colourful lights, decorated trees and snow to play with, and of course the presents. The fascination slowly slipped away. Now a walk in a store at this time gives me a headache. I find no magic in what society made out of Christmas, just a way to spend money. I wouldn't want to be a kid in these days. Not saying that it was better before... I can't say that.  Maybe I'm saying so because I have the experience to critique it, if you're a kid, you're probably impressed with all the things they offer you. 

Last few years I spent my Christmas holidays listening to Trans Siberian Orchestra (which I still do!) and watching movies like Bridget Jones' Diary or Love Actually (so ashamed to admit!) and of course stuffing my stomach with sweets. This year I'm only sticking with TSO and I'm adding baking to the list. One of my absolute favourite songs by TSO is Epiphany:

What makes the end of December somewhat better, is snow. But we've been having a mixture of snow and rain, at the moment just rain. Otherwise I'm a fan of rain, really, but this is just a bit too much, even for me.

I got a present from a friend, a little book of relaxation, and there is one quote that I really liked so far. 
"Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials." - Lin Yutang. 
This applys to me... my mind's 'to do list' is always full, and I'm the kind of person that has to do a lot of things, especially those things that I don't like, first, before I can have fun and do what I'd really like. It's really fascinating how I get my poems written. When our left side of brain is the driver (analytical, has things to do) and our right side a mere observer, silent companion.

Another quote that I'd like to share with the world, comes from Maya Angelou:
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Rings with truth. 

The year 2010 hasn't been so good to me, as I would've hoped... it had a lot of "bad days", but as long as I can learn something from them, I'm okay. I just don't want them to drown me.

I'd like to end this blog with a question: What do you do around Chrismas & New Years, any traditions, and how did you experience these holidays when you were a child?

May you have love and peace in your hearts and tounges.

Natašek

2 comments:

  1. ok first off, why would you be embarrassed about watching bridget jones' diary or love actually?? what just cause they're of the lighter side and don't concern themselves with the philosophical problems which plague society, you think you'll look like that as well?? though now that i think about it, it's quite sound reasoning.. hrm, nevermin then.. :P

    but seriously, people usually call stuff like that guilty pleasures, as in we're all trying to be smarter than our actions show us, since apparently we don't have enough problems already and we need to make new, pointless ones.. we really are a confusing species..

    can't really comment on the shitty weather as i've grown accustomed to it, since apparently it's not going anywhere in a hurry.. though a cold front is coming, maybe the year will end in a fairytale after all ;) (then we'll all be able to bitch and moan about the snow and the cold)

    oh and i'm off now.. we don't really have any traditions here, but i'm off to play epiphany on my guitars, i really appreciate the idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, don't incourage my guilty pleasures :) I've seen them like three times, which is enough for any movie. I might give Nightmare before Christmas another try though ;) I do agree, we're trying to be smarter than our actions show us.

    snow is great for exercising, you can shuffle it, throw snowballs, go skiing,... although you're bitching about the snow and the cold.

    great, teach those fingers, and once you're done with epiphany, you can go on to Moonlight and madness ;)

    ReplyDelete