Pages

Sunday, 2 June 2013

Blog: Words mean more


June's here, did anyone actually noticed? It still feels like April and I still have to use heat in my car when I'm driving. I really don't feel like we already in the middle of year 2013. It had just started, come on.

I've been reading Maya Angelou's book "I know why the caged bird sings". This work is told from a first-person perspective, and it is the first in a series of her autobiographical books. The book has been popular since it was first published in 1969.

The parts about rape were really hard to bear, I was disgusted. But all in all, I really like it. Here are some memorable parts:

“Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning.” 

“To be left alone on the tightrope of youthful unknowing is to experience the excruciating beauty of full freedom and the threat of eternal indecision. Few, if any, survive their teens. Most surrender to the vague but murderous pressure of adult conformity. It becomes easier to die and avoid conflict than to maintain a constant battle with the superior forces of maturity.” 

“Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you.” 

*
My library is richer for these books. I don't remember a time when books were this cheap. Now I only have to find time to dig into them. Previous weekend I had a craving to read Crime and punishment, maybe it's all the rain and my depressive thoughts of dying. I'm also excited to read John Green's books, I've only read a few parts, but some of his sentences resonate very deeply in me.

*
I started making my own liquid soaps. This honey-looking liquid is the basis, which has to mature for three weeks, then you can add herbs or oils. This is made out of olive oil, coconut butter, potassium hydroxide and thyme infusion. Can't wait to use it.

*
My guinea pig Izzy was very photogenic this weekend, while his brother Dean was surprisingly shy. One of Dean's front teeth grew longer than the other and just when I thought we will have to go to the vet again, his tooth broke almost right at the gum. But his teeth grow surprisingly fast. This photo was taken three days afterwards, and it looks like it grew 5mm. He also gained on weight. In January the vet found a crystal formation in his bladder and his teeth were a total mess. He had an operation to fix the teeth, and we helped him with some medicine and analgesics and it seems he peed that crystal out. Afterwards he could eat, but still he didn't reach the weight he was at when he got sick. His future wasn't looking really good, but we managed to keep him, he's a little survivor. And maybe now he'll be able to put on some weight like his loud brother Izzy (who squeeks so loudly it can be heard in any room of the house, and can be like the most annoying alarm clock if he get too hungry, but still is the first one to run for cover if you get too close). 

*
I've been listening to the album Division bell by Pink Floyd, I could say that's my favourite album of theirs. It leaves me with such sense of calm, and it makes me feel, reset my focus on important things... Lost for words

*

4 comments:

  1. I read that book about 15 years ago now and it still resonates. :)

    Awww! How cute is Izzy? So glad Dean survived his ordeal (how could he not with such devotion?) :)

    Pink Floyd - one of my favorite bands. Period. Saw them in concert once. So super fun! One of my best memories of a day spent with my brother (who has now departed this world for another).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her autobiography is very memorable, as is her wisdom, it resonates still.

      yeah, Izzy is a cutie ;) Dean is a fighter, we both are :)

      You are so lucky to seen them live in a concert! and lucky to have shared it with your brother (I'm sorry to hear about your loss, it's hard to face when people leave this world too soon).

      Delete
  2. "Most surrender to the vague but murderous pressure of adult conformity. It becomes easier to die and avoid conflict than to maintain a constant battle with the superior forces of maturity.”

    I guess that explains why most of the people I grew-up with are dead, even though they're still alive. :(

    ReplyDelete