Pages

Saturday, 26 April 2014

Photo: Hiking and W. Blake

It's been awhile. More than two years in fact, when I last went hiking, I mean, really hiking. I missed it. I bought running shoes and was surprised what a difference it makes, it's so much easier to run, and even my knees were quite fine with it; sure meniscus has to make a cracking sound here and there, but I finally run through the forest again! It's unbelievable. I'm in love with it. And now when I have some free days, and weather seems to be holding up, I went to visit some mountains around here. Because books follow me everywhere, I'll share a few poems by William Blake, whom I'm reading at the moment. And very often when I walk in nature I remember the works of Thomas Hardy and Walt Whitman. 

This was Polhograjska Gora, or st. Lovrenc on Thursday early in the morning, I had it all to myself.



William Blake : The Fly

    Little fly,
    Thy summer’s play
    My thoughtless hand
    Has brushed away.

    Am not I
    A fly like thee?
    Or art not thou
    A man like me?

    For I dance
    And drink and sing,
    Till some blind hand
    Shall brush my wing.

    If thought is life
    And strength and breath, 
    And the want
    Of thought is death,

    Then am I
    A happy fly,
    If I live,
    Or if I die. 
Polhograjska grmada today in the morning. Followed by Tošč.


William Blake: A Poison Tree

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I watered it in fears,
Night and morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine.
And he knew that it was mine,

And into my garden stole
When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree

When I went uphill to Tošč a dog run ahead and then back again, he was so out of breath, yet so happy and alive.


William Blake: The Schoolboy 
From Songs of Experience 
 

Forests and mountains is where I feel most alive. My feet would just walk, run, jump, but my heart and lungs don't follow them. :)


2 comments:

  1. smiles...i like the fly
    and hoping to avoid the hand to brush me for a bit longer...
    i did go hiking this weekend...and playing along the river...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had to read that poem twice, it grabbed me. and I agree with you :)
      good for you, it really is the best, especially if there's a river near when you can cool down. canada has many such places I'm sure (as much as I've seen on photographs; when I was younger I really wanted to move there!). have a nice week!

      Delete