Pages

Friday, 26 June 2015

Blog: Jogging and sunshine

Now that is a wonderful title, isn't it :) It would be nicer if in fact there would be more sunshine, but it's been better than last year so far, so I won't complain. Second thing, I can't believe half of 2015 is over, where did it go?! Behind which corner is it hiding?! I may have too many hobbies and things to do, and then time just flies, sometimes I just don't know anymore where in time we are. Anyway, it's been an interesting and amazing year so far (well, having a regular job would be a cherry on the cake).. I've been running, studying, went to see AC/DC in Zeltweg, went on a few trips, photographed another wedding, we got a dog.. what else? Oh, I got a certificate in Reflexology and hopefully in time I will find a job in that field.

Running.. after arthroscopy I never really thought I could run like this.. to be truthful, I never thought I would have it in me to be this stubborn and run two organized runs of 10 km in two weeks. And that I've run about 150 km this year so far. I do have some problems with my left leg, just goes to show that rehabilitation isn't what it's supposed to be, and again, you're left to yourself to figure what you should be doing and where the problem lies. My first (ever) 10 km was at a marathon organized for women only, and it was too hot for me, but the second one was at night and it was much much better; I'm looking forward to the third one.

Last year our dog died very suddenly, and this year we got another one, the same stubborn breed ;)
He's very eager to play with our cat, but cat ain't very much interested :)

I've been studying different things, but just wanted to share a few with you. First I got a book about Psoas (a very important muscle that with our lifestyle suffers). Here's an interesting article that touches the subject: link. Another article that I'm sharing so it will kick you off your chair, hopefully: link.


Vitamin D. Ever thought of that vitamin? When I learned that vit D deficiency is related to breast and colorectal cancer I started digging deeper. We usually think about it only as a vitamin necessary to take calcium into the bones, but in fact it's much more than that, it also plays a role in our moods, it can be thought of as a sort of hormone, since deficiency is related to depression (think of Finland). Since I have gut problems, I also researched the importance of it in IBS and some studies show that symptoms of IBS disappeared when patients started taking high doses of this vitamin. The main reason I'm telling you this, is the fact that I'm also vitamin D deficient, despite eating and exposing my skin to the sun (without wearing sunscreen - it lowers the vit D that will be produced).

My mind has also been blown out by a course on Coursera, about Microbiom. It's a favourite topic of mine, since I see the difference the good bacteria does. Anyway, to put it just in a few words. They are connecting microbiom with autism, colon cancer (a certain bacteria if present causes cancer in years), IBD, heart disease and obesity. They also found a connection between brain and gut, and how our bacteria can alter our moods. And if under stress some of the bacteria may leak through the intestinal wall and make us sick. It is also linked with depression, since the bacteria are directly linked with immune system. 10% of serotonin (happy hormone) is found in the brain, 90% of it is found in the GUT! Now that you know a bit about it, think what our processed foods and sterile environment do to the gut. So, microbiom can be related to memories, moods and our decisions and there is still more to be found about it.

I've also studied how you can cure nearsightedness. Here's a link that I would interesting: link.

And I think that's about it what I wanted to share... Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I am nearly 56 and had arthroscopy on my left knee last fall. Took 6 months to work out the kinks; but I am finally moving again, with freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take awhile, doesn't it, it can be a hard road back to complete freedom and to get that feeling that that is indeed your knee back. Glad you're doing good.

      Delete