Pages

Saturday 13 September 2014

Poem: Love of thousands

Photo is from a calendar, I don't know the author.


the heart can stumble, fall, float or drown in silence
the mind flying behind it, tries to reason with it
offering compromises in last rational attempts
and then the echo of a storm is seen in the eyes
but dive far enough, there will be peace,
there will be love

you carry love of thousands inside you
all your ancestors fought against the odds
took chances, met coincidences, played with fate
engaged in the game of love, ignited fires
into new hearts, exchanged stardust on the fingertips
                with those they touched

they are long hidden in the corners of your cells
somehow they still live on inside your name
as you stand here now, lost in a small memory
of the journey behind how your heart started beating
what does it take for two souls to meet?

*
It's not that this poem needs any additional explanation, but I just wanted to write down a few thoughts. For now I still work in gynecologist office, and pregnant women sometimes bring photos of their babies when they come for the post-partum visit. And we have walls covered with pictures of babies. And one morning I was watching these faces, all cute, new, innocent...and I thought of the long journey it took for them to be here now. The life stories of their parents, the love, the hope... And how sometimes I feel like an intruder, as we watch on ultrasound how their bodies develop; listening to the heartbeats of the unborn babies. Imagining what great odds and coincidences it took, for them to be here now, to get a chance of living. And all of this made me think...

29 comments:

  1. The way we all carry the history in our heart is a comforting thought... Yet I hope there is also an opportunity of a fresh start for those with ancestors they wish they hadn't ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is an opportunity.. to accept and move in your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful take Natasa! Your explanatory notes sum up the joy and wonder of life's beginnings! Many miss this and end up not appreciating God's gifts as blessed!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Momma Panza tells me that I am the last of a long line of survivors. Doesn't make any promises for the future though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fantastic journey we undertake through generations and those that help us to have our first breath possible..." they still live on inside your name"...beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful and thoughtful. A joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the reflections Natasa ~ I started remembering my own journey to motherhood and how each brought me joy despite the pain ~ Thanks for sharing ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. they are long hidden in the corners of your cells
    somehow they still live on inside your name
    as you stand here now, lost in a small memory


    This poem really reached me. I REALLY enjoy this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful. Each new life is influenced by ancestors who have lived long before. Each child is a product of influences he/she will never realize...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My gynecologist also has hundreds if photos on her walls. 'you carry love of thousands inside you' - we do, don't we, along with a few mistakes I am sure but I find it reassuring to be the end result of a series of love stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'you carry love of thousands' How beautifully you open this door and clarify it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautifully done--I love the idea of carrying the memories of thousands with me in my cells--beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this poem, Natasa. So filled with existential thought and your very real observances.

    they are long hidden in the corners of your cells
    somehow they still live on inside your name
    as you stand here now

    ReplyDelete
  14. For me your poem brought up the idea that we come from so many who went before us...who paved the way...and I wonder who they are , what they were like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your poem and your thoughts are both beautiful. Before reading your thoughts, I experienced your poem as such a comforting, reassuring ideas to combat the angst that I feel about the world situation. It made me feel good to have this chance of life, and to appreciate my ancestors who made my life possible regardless of the hate that exists I have love in my cells. I really love this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doing family history I am amazed such a bunch of misfits got it right with me! Joking aside it is wonderful to think there is a little part of each one of them living on in me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Natasa,

    Living a good and decent life, and setting an example for others to follow..It is probably the best way to try and live this life.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Life is such a wonderful journey. Love is part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This line is very beautiful...

    into new hearts, exchanged stardust on the fingertips
    with those they touched

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the connection between past and present here...and that the love able to bring a healing to our heart and new heart especially... ~ Thank you.x

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful philosophical thoughtful revelation and understanding expressed here about 'life' as nature creates it-hidden secure in 'safe places' begun with love and holding more for ever' for the whole world

    ReplyDelete
  22. every life is a miracle, isn't it? :)
    i like how the poem starts, and the way it gently pulls us through the imagery, right to the wonderful end lines.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an intriguing thought! I love when someone's writing really makes me think :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A wonderful read ..with subtle touch of philosophy... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. A cute one... Longing can be felt!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very deep thinking and working in a hospital really makes one ponder about such things, about life.

    ReplyDelete